Why should we use dog poop bags to pick up our dog’s waste? Well, actually there are many good reasons. Some we are well aware of, and some maybe not.
1) Common courtesy to our neighbors. How often have you stepped in dog poop and tracked it into your home or into your vehicle? Hard to get off of the carpet isn’t it? And it’s also very difficult to scrape off of our shoes. Common courtesy and good will to all means that if your dog did it, we must take care of it.
2) Dog poop poses a real threat to our water. It is an environmental pollutant. Studies done in the last few years put dogs third on the list of contributors of bacteria in contaminated waters. Dog waste adds nitrogen to the water. Excess nitrogen depletes the oxygen in the water that is necessary for fish and wildlife.
3) Dog waste is a health hazard. It contains 23 million coliform bacteria per gram and potentially heartworms, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms. These worms can live in soil for long periods and are easily transmitted to humans or other animals. Dog poop bags will safely contain and eliminate all of these health hazards.
4) Dog waste is not a good lawn fertilizer. It is actually toxic to your lawn, causing burns and unsightly discoloring.
5) Fines for not picking up dog waste range from $250 in New York to $750 in London to $1000 in Colorado and even a whopping 2000 Euros or $2651 U.S. dollars in the Gulf of Naples in Italy. DNA registration of dogs is required on that remote vacation island to successfully catch offenders. DNA registration is becoming more common around the world with resounding success and cleaner environments.
So there are many good reasons to use poop bags to pick up our pet’s feces. However, one recent study indicates that 41% of dog owners rarely or never clean up after their friend. Maybe they are not aware of the very good reasons to do so. We may have a lot of educating to do before dog owners realize that their pooch can be a canine sewage pipe.
And the easiest, cheapest, most sanitary and most discreet method of taking care of dog waste is by using plastic bags and a dog poop bag holder. The bag full of dog poop is best carried hidden and protected from breakage and there are many available holders that help with this task. Some have the option of being attached to leashes or carried on belt or belt-loops. A unique dog poop bag holder will help show proof of your concern for your pet, for yourself and for your community.