Bermuda in the yard entails care. It is green from spring until winter and it is light brown during the winter months. It is a tough kind of grass and usually mixed with Bahia when it is planted on the road side. It is often seen in utility plants.
Bermuda needs full sunlight in order to form a turf that is tight and lush green. Too much shade can make the Bermuda lawn too weedy and thin. Bermuda lawns usually survives droughts on a periodic basis. Water the lawn when the dry spell lasts for as long as two weeks or more.
When you have Bermuda in your lawn, you must feed it properly. This is done by fertilizing it correctly. You know that you are doing this if the Bermuda knits itself in a turf that is strong enough to resist weeding.
A homeowner can have a Bermuda lawn just by following the step-by-step program of Bermuda grass lawn care. With proper watering and mowing, the Bermuda lawn will grow healthy and strong.
Bermuda spreads through stolons and rhizomes. These are the above-ground stems and spreading roots respectively. Because these spread fast, the homeowner must be vigilant when it comes to keeping out of shrub or flower borders. Bermuda that has become wayward is easy to dig during the winter because it has become dormant.
Here are some steps to remedy the weed problems on Bermuda lawn care:
1. Apply pre-emergences during very early spring.
2. Control the lawn weeds during early spring.
3. Apply fertilizer during late spring after 50% green up. Do insect control when necessary.
4. Bermuda likes acid soils. When needed to raise pH, apply lime during the late fall.
Here are some steps to maintain your Bermuda lawn’s good condition
1. Apply high nitrogen fertilizers every month to six weeks during the summer months
2. Apply fertilizer until early early September and do insect control during late spring or during early summer.
3. Apply winter lawn treatment with a pre-emergence and Potash the end of October (winter conditioner) and do insect control when needed during late summer or during early fall.
The key is to do the steps indicated throughout the year. You will see improvements in your Bermuda lawn after that given time. Remember to read the label on the lawn care product before you apply it to your Bermuda grass. You have to be careful with the weed killers and fertilizers. Only use products that have been specified for Bermuda grass lawn care.
You will benefit from this eventually. It is relaxing to look at a lush green lawn.